Special Education Resource Teacher Wellsville Elem
East Central KS Coop in Ed USD 614 • www.eckce.com
The East Central Cooperative has an opening at Wellsville Elementary for a resource special education teacher for the 2022-23 school year.
East Central KS Coop in Ed USD 614 EAST CENTRAL KANSAS COOPERATIVE IN EDUCATION INTERLOCAL
Position Title: Special Education Teacher
Special education teachers will assess students` skills to determine their needs and develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for each student. Then plan, organize, and assign activities that are specific to each student`s abilities.
Reports to: Building Principal
Qualifications Education/ Experience:
Good communication skills, Language skills, Mathematical Skills, Reasoning Ability
Certificate/License: Master`s Degree in Special Education
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
1. Communication skills. Special education teachers discuss student`s needs and performances with general education teachers, parents, and administrators. They also explain difficult concepts in terms that students with learning disabilities can understand.
2. Critical-thinking skills. Special education teachers assess students` progress and use the information to adapt lessons to help them learn.
3. Interpersonal skills. Special education teachers regularly work with general education teachers, school counselors, administrators, and parents to develop Individualized Education Programs. As a result, they need to be able to build positive working relationships.
4. Patience. Working with students with special needs and different abilities can be difficult. Special education teachers should be patient with each student, as some may need the instruction given aloud, at a slower pace, or in writing.
5. Resourcefulness. Special education teachers must develop different ways to present information in a manner that meets the needs of their students. They also help general education teachers adapt their lessons to the needs of students with disabilities.
1. Teach students in small groups and on-one 2. Implement IEPs, assess students` performance, and track their progress 3. Update IEPs throughout the school year to reflect students` progress and goals 4. Discuss student`s progress with parents, teachers, counselors, and administrators 5. Supervise and mentor para-professionals who work with students with disabilities 6. Prepare and help students transition from grade to grade and after graduation 7. Special education teachers adapt general education lessons and teach various subjects, such as reading, writing, and math, to students with mild and moderate disabilities. Physical Requirements: 1. Requires the ability to sit and/or stand for prolonged periods. 2. Requires the ability to manually move, lift, pull or push heavy objects or materials. 3. Requires the ability to stoop, bend and reach. 4. Must be able to work in semi-noisy and crowded environments. 5. Ability to pay close attention to detail and coordinate various activities simultaneously. 6. Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job.
East Central KS Coop in Ed USD 614
East Central Kansas Cooperative in Education serves the Baldwin, Eudora and Wellsville School Districts. We are conveniently situated only minutes from Lawrence and less than 50 miles from the Kansas City area. We offer three great districts and communities in which to work.
Our mission statement is:
to facilitate the success of students with special needs through an individualized approach that establishes an environment where students can grow, learn and become contributing members of society.
Please browse our website at www.eckce.com to become familiar with us.