Controller & General Accounting Director ~ Finance Division
WSU Tech • wsutech.edu/jobs
The devil is in the details, is what they say. So I guess you could say we are looking for that, the details that is not other. Are you or were you a CPA that’s looking for a new challenge working with the numbers you love…. to hate, some times, but also looking for a way to give back & be involved with the community? Wonderful, I want to hear from you then! Tell me all about your experience with high level accounting & a bonus if you can talk to me about it involving a school or non-profits. :) Apply so you can help me balance our checkbook!
The Director of General Accounting and Controller is responsible for the management of all College accounting including accounts payable staff. Position is responsible for preparing and monitoring all fiscal transactions, coordinating with the Executive Director of Finance and Budget to complete required audits, fiscal reports, and other related work as required. This position is also responsible for researching and ensuring compliance with all required accounting standards and reviewing policies and procedures regularly.
Quick Glance of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all college accounting functions including the development, interpretation and application of college policies and procedures for the internal control, accounting and financial operations of the college.
- Provides leadership and supervision to the Purchasing, General Accounting and Payables Departments.
- Oversees the preparation and coordination of the annual external audit and assists in implementing audit recommendations. Oversees quarterly sales tax reporting and other tax reporting as necessary.
- Responsible for general ledger functions and accuracy. Provides oversight and maintenance of general ledger, chart of accounts, testing of all fiscal systematic processing, and balancing of books of records for all fiscal transactions, including monthly and yearly reconciliation, month-end closing, and year-end closing.
- Serves as advisor to the Executive Director of Finance and Budget and the VP Finance and Administration on accounting impacts of operational policies and changes. Keeps leadership informed of discrepancies, related problems and potential control deficiencies across college operations.
- Directs and manages the Fixed Asset Inventory and Accounting of the college, including the calculation and posting of appropriate depreciation expenses.
- Reviews payroll to ensure accuracy and coordinates corrections with the People and Culture and Payroll teams as necessary.
- Coordinates the reconciliation of Accounts Receivable and annual Bad Debt adjustments with the Business Office to ensure appropriate year end balances are maintained.
- Ensures the deposit of funds with banking institutions, monitoring for accuracy and safeguarding of confidential information in accordance with banking and regulatory guidelines.
- Hosts regular training of the accounting system and policies with appropriate end-users.
- Responds to inquiries from federal, state, or local agencies related to fiscal operations and financial reporting.
- Ensures that required interfaces with other systems and internal and external organizations are tested and maintained.
- Assumes additional administrative responsibilities as appropriate to the position. As needed, may act in the capacity of the Executive Director of Finance and Budget.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skills Needed:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, required, Master’s degree in field preferred.
- 5 years of financial/accounting experience, required. Preferably in education or a non-profit environment.
- 3 years related management/supervisory experience, required.
- CPA required.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and financial management techniques required.
- Proficient knowledge of computers, 10-key, and other office equipment.
- Ability to work independently to problem-solve and develop solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and extreme attention to detail are required.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial information, and effectively communicate results to a variety of people at various levels in the College.
- Application of ethical standards to business practices and decision-making. Apply the same standards to the actions of colleagues and direct reports.
- Ability to deal with diverse situations in a busy environment including priority management.
Pay Rate: $87,000 /yr
Schedule: M-F 8-5 usually; NCAT Campus
WSU Tech is committed to inclusive and equitable practices to create an environment and culture where students and employees thrive. We acknowledge that through valuing diverse identities, experiences, talents and gifts, we excel by fulfilling our mission to create a talent pipeline, establish workforce equity, and improve economic prosperity for our community. WSU Tech is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is NOT a remote position.
Everyone here is DRIVEN by our mission of creating opportunities for a better life to our students and to provide the best trained workforce for employers.
To accomplish that, we take care of our employees too! We offer benefits and perks that are second to none. Meaningful jobs, amazing Rock Star employees, awesome benefits, what more could you ask for?
Please apply directly to our website for official consideration for any positions posted.